Project Director is responsible for the overall direction, improvement, coordination, implementation, execution, control, and completion of multiple assigned project teams and ensure consistency with SME’s strategies, commitments, and goals. By applying professional principles, practices, and techniques, the Project Director leads each project management team to control project schedule, cost, and performance.
The following duties are typical for this classification. Incumbents may not perform all listed duties and/or may be required to perform additional or different duties from those set forth below to address business needs and changing business practices.
- Responsible for thorough understanding of each project’s definition, scope, goals, and deliverables
- Responsible for execution of each project’s schedule, budget, and technical performance
- Lead planning and implementation of projects
- Work with assigned Project Managers, Associate Project Managers, Assistant Project Managers, and Project Assistants; communicate all project requirements and responsibilities
- Manage timelines and performances
- Define project tasks and resource requirements and effectively utilize each team member’s skill sets
- Proactively communicate project status, issues, and risks to SME management for all assigned projects
- Follow SME’s policies, procedures, and methodologies
- Conduct formal/informal status meetings with all concerned stakeholders (e.g., general contractor, owner, architect, SME office and field personnel, and subcontractors)
- Manage project budgets
- Prepare and negotiate all project change orders
- Manage and coordinate all shop drawings, field drawings, and all other project details with general contractor, SME field personnel, and other involved parties
- Effectively utilize SME’s internal resources to maintain a safe work environment for all personnel during all phases of each project
- Prepare scope of work assessments and manage all quotes from outside subcontractors
- Select and manage cost-effective subcontractors and negotiation of all project contracts
- Other duties as assigned
- B.S. in Engineering or Construction Management preferred or equivalent project management experience
- Minimum of five (5) years of increasing responsibility and experience in project management positions with an emphasis on structural and/or architectural steel projects
- Strong experience with steel construction and/or steel fabrication
- Proven experience with people management, strategic planning, risk management, and change management
- Strong working knowledge of construction drawings and blueprints.
- Ability to read design documents and familiarity with design specifications (AISC, AWS, and materials)
- Ability to organize and maintain complex data, drawings, legal contracts, requests for information (RFIs) and answers, and miscellaneous information through a project’s completion
- Must be able to develop, maintain, and modify project budgets
- Ability to determine and track Cost to Completes (CTCs), change orders (COs), and forecast future costs
- Knowledge and understanding of general construction contract and sub-contract language
- Ability to maintain a professional relationship with clients, general contractors, engineers, field personnel, coworkers, project managers, design, and detail personnel
- Possess software capability of MS Word, Excel, MS Project, and Outlook
- Ability to use and navigate FabSuite or other manufacturing production computer system very desirable
- To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate:
- Delegation – delegate work assignments, match responsibilities to the person, give authority to work independently, set expectations, and monitor delegated activities
- Teamwork – balance team and individual responsibilities, exhibit objectivity and openness to other views, give and welcome feedback, build positive team spirit, able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives
- Leadership – inspire and motivate others to perform well, give appropriate recognition to others, exhibit confidence in self and others
- Customer Service – manage difficult customer situations, respond promptly to customer needs, solicit customer feedback to improve service, meet commitments
- Problem Solving – identify and resolve problems in a timely manner, gather and analyze information skillfully, develop alternative solutions, work well in group problem solving situations, use reason when dealing with emotional topics
This job description reflects the current assignment of essential functions and is not meant to be all-inclusive.
Duties and responsibilities may be assigned or reassigned to this job at any time and may be modified to reasonably accommodate an individual with a disability or for other reasons.
- Premium Medical
- Short-Term Disability
- Paid Holidays
About SME Industries: SME Industries is a leading conglomerate of key, well-established companies offering full CSI Division 5 products and services including specialized steel members, components, seismic force resisting systems, and heavy haul transportation. SME is one of the largest, AISC Certified steel fabricators/erectors in the U.S. with multiple facilities across the Western U.S. Driven to be different from all others, we demand of ourselves a single-minded focus to deliver exceptional performance that spans from inception to completion. This unique combination allows us the ability to work on some of the largest, innovative, and most exciting projects of our time.
Working at SME means associating yourself with a top team of steel fabricators, erectors, project managers, engineers, executives, and support service personnel. We work with the best and therefore require the best to join us for the challenging designs we deliver in structural form. If you are driven to work in a fast-paced environment (requiring superior organizational skills to manage the process of multifaceted project execution; many of which are through advanced delivery methods), then we are definitely interested in speaking with you.
Contact us today to see how you can join us as we help build some of the most exciting projects that create the skylines where the world comes to work, live, and play.
Leslie Huynh | 801.878.8901 | email@example.com
EEO: SME Industries, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with disability, or any other protected group status or non-job-related characteristic as directed by law.